Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Scary House

So, last night I was home alone. Not necessary a bad thing - I like being home alone every once in a while (it means I can sing and dance around the house and indulge in my new obsession - watching Nickelodeon shows - without Diane around to make fun of me). But before when I was home alone our apartment was so small it's not like anything could happen that I wouldn't know about. No one was about to break in without me hearing it.

Well, this is Home Alone, House edition and let me tell you, it's way scarier that you could believe. So, like any good NaNoWriMo girl I was up in my room in writing mode (iPod on, lights off, alien feelers on my head), snuggled in my bed when I heard this noise between songs. It was still early, maybe just 5:30, 6, but none of the lights were on in the house. I hear it again, a weird clanging noise. So I get my bat (really, I do) and leave my room. The horrible offender? The window in Di's room has open and it was banging her blinds.

Now, I of course closed her window, turned all the lights on in the house, double checked all our doors were double locked, turned on the tv downstairs and proceeded to use up way too much energy while I returned to my room to write. But I kept hearing noises. Now after a while I realized and KNEW it was just the wind ripping across the roof, whipping down the fireplace and against the garage door that is right below my window but it continued to scare the heck out of me.

I had to sleep with both my fan AND tv on so I wouldn't hear the wind. Even after I woke up at 5:30 in the morning to use the bathroom I had to keep them on when I went back to bed. I turned them off but then thought I heard something and they got turned back on again.

The moral of the story? Don't stay along in windy houses in Tracy and if you have to, make sure you have a bat and a big energy bill.

No comments: